Saturday, November 19, 2005

November 19, 2005

Hello from OZ. Yesterday we left “N Zed” for one of my favorite countries, Australia. The departure wasn’t without its sad moments but in the end I think Jodi and I are relieved to be on our way. For us New Zealand feels like work, because we had so many chores to do and there are so many of the people we worked with over the past year running around it never really feels like we left. For instance as we were waiting for our plane to arrive yesterday we were approached by a beaker that I did not much care for who was waiting for the same flight. He seemed like he wanted to chat us up so he helped himself to the seat next to me and started briefing us on the happenings at Pole. It felt just like being at pole once more, talking about the stupid politics, dealing with people I did not like and having to be careful about what I said or did. I just want to put that damn place behind me and with the departure from NZ it is a little further back in the rear view mirror.

I learned some important travel tips yesterday. Air New Zealand only allows its customers 20 kg or 44lbs of checked baggage and 7kg or 15.4lbs of carry on. With our bikes we weighed in at 56kg for the both of us so we were supposed to pay $10 NZD for every KG over the allowable 40. Yikes! The women helping us didn’t want us to get “ganked” so she asked her boss if they could waive the fees. She said no unless we had a return ticket to the USA. Our itinerary said we were dead ending in Singapore so they were forced to collect unless we could show a return path. Once we showed them our travel itinerary from Bangkok to the USA they waived the fees. I still don’t know why this makes a difference but I suspect it has something to do with the negotiated agreements between US airlines and Air New Zealand. Another thing I learned was to place my carryon luggage in a locker before check in so it doesn’t get weighed.

In OZ we were met by our friend Stu who was gracious enough to pick us up at the airport and take our oversized luggage to his house where we would meet up with our friend Michael and then onto Manly Beach. While waiting we went for a dip in the pool, which felt oh so very nice. We drank some Heinekens and by the time Michael arrived we were all hungry so the four of us went for some Thai. Stu bought a bottle of wine that he and Jodi shared while Michael and I talked about kite surfing. The food was very good and the company even better. It was really nice to be around people who had nothing to do with pole. Michael had to leave early to meet his girl friend so instead of going to Manly we stayed the first night with Stu.
One thing I hadn’t really noticed before was how much everyone is in a hurry. First Steve in NZ who was packing every daylight hour as full as he could get it and then Michael and Stu who had so many commitments all the time with their cell phones ringing with both voice and text that they could seldom sit and have a dinner without interruption. It is just amazing how busy everyone is and how they just run and run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home