Friday, February 24, 2006

February 22, 2006

February 22, 2006
Today we rode 64km to Pakxe. In the past several rides the road climbed ever so slightly today the pitch swayed the other way and gave us a break. We covered the first 46km without any trouble but with 18km left I hit the wall as a pretty stiff wind came blowing from the South. Jodi asked how I was doing and I said I needed to stop and stretch. We must look like a couple of space aliens doing callisthenics on the roadside because all the Laos slow to see what we are doing and they sometimes laugh after they pass.
The town of Pakxe is a very nice place to us. They have nice hotels and the restaurants serve things other than foe. I like foe but eating it two to three times a day gets old. We checked into a refurbished hotel with a new bed, hot water, satellite TV and a mini fridge. It is our little home for a couple of days. We lunched at an Indian food restaurant, something every town in the world should have, and ate entirely too much; it feels good to have a full belly. In recent days we have felt very run down and I think it is because we have not been eating enough. Neither one of us has a good grasp of the foods available in the small villages. It occurred to me that in Savannaket we ate at a restaurant with 53 different foods listed on its menu with the words written in English and Lao. I wish I had made a photocopy of that menu so I could show it to stall operators to see what they have that suits my tastes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home