Monday, March 21, 2005

March 21, 2005

Temperature-46.8 C -52.2 F
Windchill-65.5 C -85.8 F
Wind 12.6 kts Grid 001
Barometer 688.9 mb (10293. ft)

Until last night I thought I was a pretty open guy. But my significant other brought me a movie called Big Eden which pushed me a little beyond my comfort zone. I guess I am not ready to watch movies with gay plots. We both became uncomfortable, turned it off and watch Northern Exposure instead. I really miss the television series, with Joel the Jewish doctor from NY, Chris in the morning and Maggie (I totally thought she was hot), and all the crazy happenings in Cicily, Alaska. I guess it is kind of like this place. A small community, complete with the intellectuals/beakers, construction workers, wackos and people that manage things. We have all kinds of crazy wacky things that happen here, the difference is they become really big deals because of our isolation and the fact that we really don’t have much else going on. Last year the guy who ran the Sunday services decided to confide in a friend, telling him what a bunch of heathens we all were and how he thought out of the 75 on station 68 would be going to hell. The friend told one friend and before long we were all aware of what the person said and the next thing I knew the flavors on the ice cream machine are "Seven Go To Heaven Vanilla" and "68 In Hades Chocolate." Needless to say I had chocolate ice cream that night. Even though I agree that he should have never said anything like that, he was kind of banished from the community and never quite recovered from that mistake. This winter we have had similar "big deals" and I have elaborated on them in past posts and will continue to do so.
Today is sunset. At the beginning of the sleep cycle the sun was observed to be just above the horizon meaning the sun will set in the next 30 to 45 hours. We most likely will not get to see it because a storm blew in, warmed things up a bit but obscured our view. I was really hoping to see the sun set because it will be the last time I will see it for six months (Writing that line sent shivers up my spine). Last season I did not mind seeing the sun go down, but after one season here, looking at the boarded up windows, and seeing how mean people get I really wish the sun would stay up forever. (I know when I leave here I will find a place where the sun shines on me almost every day and I will worship its warmth and light). We will have varying degrees of light for the next month then complete darkness with auroras for 4 months then increasing light until sunrise in September. Then OUT OF HERE and on to travels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home