Friday, March 25, 2005

March 25, 2005

I had a whole different entry planned for today but after the events late in the day I just didn’t feel it was appropriate for how I felt. They day was rather slow and they keep getting slower, the weeks between two day weekends seem to drag by and the days off just don’t provide enough time to get all that I want to get done. This week station management decided to celebrate the sunset with a party, so we get off at 10:00 am tomorrow morning and we get to prepare for a dinner and bingo in the evening. Tonight I helped the beakers who are preparing tomorrow nights meal, pound out the pork and chicken for schnitzel. I probably will not eat any since I am kind of porked out since they cut our chicken rations and it seems they are serving some kind of pork everyday. The upside is pig fat is really high in vitamin D so I should be getting my RDA.
Tonight my friend Greg and my mom wrote making the day end on a very good note. I tend to forget there is more to the world than the 86 people and the 60,000 square feet of this place and word from the outside helps me reconnect and gain perspective. Thanks guys!!
I worked on the house today and came up with a really simple and cheap idea for a hydroponic growth system. If anyone is interested I would be happy to share it. I guess my interest in hydroponics was stimulated because I had to work in the greenhouse today. The acid injection system was not working and the PH in growth system one was getting pretty high and starting to kill the plants. I found that the elbow at the mixing block had been filled with a hard calcium substance preventing the acid from entering the system. I poked it with a stick and it broke free and the acid system was back in business. The woman who is running the system has it working pretty well and she was able to get 40lbs of lettuce in the past week. It has been nice having a salad option every night.
One of my friends is working on Easter baskets for the first floor and she is busy talking to me as I write in my blog. It is kind of driving me crazy but then again having the company is nice and I would not trade it for the world. She is planning on leaving them on the doors on Sunday night so everyone wakes up with a little Easter surprise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home