Saturday, April 02, 2005

April 02, 2005

Temperature-65.9 C -86.5 FWindchill-87.2 C -125 F Wind 9.6 kts Grid 064Barometer 678.4 mb (10687. ft)
Breakfast: Burritos
Dinner: Mexican Fish
I want to say I love two day weekends. It is so nice to have two days to do as I please, sleep in, work on some personal projects and hang with my friends. I just can’t say enough about how nice the additional time is. Yet some people find the two day weekend a bit too much responsibility and just don’t have enough self control to manage the time productively. This afternoon I heard rumors about what had occurred the night before but when I checked my email the rumors were confirmed.
"Last night someone pulled one of the exit signs out of the ceiling on the second floor. That's a little more than wear and tear. I'm asking whoever did this to step forward and take responsibility. This means let me know if it was you then fix it, if it is something you can put back to the original condition, or pay someone to do it for you. I expect the same for anything that gets damaged on station due to a careless act. I expect everyone living here to take ownership in the station and treat it well.
Secondly and much more disturbing, yesterday one of our fellows brought to my attention that $60 and a pay stub were stolen from his room between last Tuesday and Friday night. The $60 happens to be the exact amount won at a poker game. I'm not sure why a pay stub would also be taken, but I can make a couple of assumptions. It is not tolerable to go into another persons room and take property. Both items need to be returned. You may put the stolen property in an envelope and put it on my desk. Theft does not happen often, especially in the winter. This is not only taking something from a friend, but also violating the trust we have with each other. If the person is found out we will not go lightly and the person will no longer be allowed here. I don't think I can be any clearer than that.
Everyone needs to consider their own behavior and the effect it has on others on station. If this is done we should have a pretty good winter. To me, being here is a privilege I don't take lightly and I hope everyone else feels the same way."
I also learned today that W2 is suspected of trashing the smoking lounge on two occasions and was moved from his previous housing to a new location where he could be better watched. I wonder if this is the same person who was puking while a friend of mine was taking a shower. If so W2 is off the wagon, bummer!!!
I suspect it will be a cold day in hell before we see another two day weekend outside the once a month schedule. So I had better scale back my personal projects because I will not have time for them. Last season they worked the crews like dogs, leaving them no time for recreation and I fear that paradigm will take hold and will become the norm this season also.
I really don’t understand these freaks, they look like us and they seem like nice guys but when the get some alcohol in their blood, they just turn into a different species and become a problem for us all. The really troubling fact is I have no idea who they are and when they are most likely to act. I wish there was a way to put these people under some kind of light where they glow green and we can weed them out quickly and they never get here. We don’t have treatment programs, prisons or courts and little can be done with them once they are here where they become problems for us all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home