Tuesday, September 06, 2005

September 6, 2005

My wife wrote this today and decided not to send it out so I thought I would add it to my blog.

I talked to one of my good friends the other day and had a great conversation. She asked me how I was doing emotionally which was a very thoughtful question to ask. A real question. It told me that she somewhat understood the affects that this place is having on my mental state and she was willing to listen. That means a lot to me right now. Kirk and I are struggling even though we only have a short time left, each day the horizon is getting brighter, and we have so much to look forward to. Maybe I seem like a cry baby. I don't care. You really don't know what it's like here unless you've experienced it for yourself and I'm so tired of feeling oppressed, overworked and underappreciated.

I have been listening to NPR and reading on the web about the death and destruction that the hurricane left in it's wake. It's absolutely devastating and horribly depressing. I feel so terrible for all of those people who are suffering, who have lost everything and are barely surviving. Than I look at this war in Iraq and how hopeless and endless it seems. I hear about all of our American jobs being relocated to foreign countries because it's cheaper for "the company". The people who have given many years of their lives dedicated to companies who in return cut their retirement benefits and leave them with nothing for their futures. That the gap between the rich and the poor in America is the largest that it's been in years....I could go on and on. What is happening to our country?

As pathetic as my complaining from here may seem, I am able to empathize with the oppression these people may feel. It is a horrible feeling to know that someone else is in control of a big piece of your life and making choices for you that you would not make for yourself. The people at the top making these decisions are so far out of the loop that they have no idea how they affect the little guys...the masses...and frankly they don't care. The bottom line is always about more money and more power. That is blatantly obvious in this company every day and I think has become the standard operating procedure for American politics and companies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home