Sunday, May 15, 2005

May 15, 2005

Temperature-54.8 C -66.7 F
Windchill-77.3 C -107.1 F
Wind 15.1 kts Grid 25
Barometer 693.2 mb (10134 ft)

Lunch: Granola and Yogurt
Dinner: Pasta with Tofu and Pesto
Today is Sunday and as much as everyone has heard it is my favorite day of the week. It is the day I go for a long bike ride in my imagination. I go to the gym and ride with some tunes and the lights off and I go where I can’t. Today’s ride started with the hill from the parking lot at Apex park. It was morning and I could hear the birds chirping and the air was cool and smelled of the morning dew. Every once in while the sun would hit the drops hanging from the grass sending a sparkle of light my way. Then I turned the corner where it becomes rocky and I decided I no longer wanted to ride Apex but along the Poudre. The river was up and the road free of traffic. The kayakers all waved and did their best to surf and throw some ends as I rode bye. As I passed the Mishawaka Inn I could smell pachouli, stale beer and smell of reefer from the concert the night before. Several folks rolled out of their Westies along the road side to say hi. The road ended and became a trail and I was climbing the back side of Green Mountain. It was late in the day and the sun was low in the sky and I could feel its burn on my back. Here I became tired and I had to stand in the pedals to climb the corner where it gets really steep and rutted out. Several deer looked up from their late day snack to assess whether I was a threat and seeing that I was only a threat to myself went about their business. When I reached what I thought was the top was a false summit and I was climbing my favorite uphill on the backside of Apex. It was cool and the spring that runs along the trail kept the air cool and I could feel my strength returning. Once on top the trail turned to road and I was riding down from the end of the Monarch Crest into Poncha Springs. I was drafting my friend Dave and we were peddling with all our might trying to beat the rain. I passed him and when I was tired he passed me and so on. At the bottom was a bridge and about 100 yards in front was the line of rain. One side dry and the other wet. We approached and Dave was gone and I was riding on a fall day in Moab. The orange, yellow, and red leaves combined with the landscape made this particular ride the most spectacular. The light breeze rustled the leaves out of the way of my front tire carrying with it the crisp reminder that winter is not far off. I turned the corner where my truck was sitting in front of the condo and inside were my friends and Thanksgiving dinner. I love Sundays!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home