Tuesday, May 03, 2005

May 03, 2005

Temperature-45.2 C -49.4 F
Windchill-61.5 C -78.7 F
Wind 9.8 kts Grid 18
Barometer 679.1 mb (10662 ft)
Lunch: Sweet and Sour Pork
Dinner: Steak
For two nights I have stayed up late trying to post my May 1st blog with out success then when I logged on today I had 10 May 1st postings. Very frustrating.
Today we had a fire drill and I usually take my time responding since I have been promoted to team one (first responders) so that I don’t become "on scene commander". I was sitting in my office when I heard someone yelling hysterically to make an all call and get help. Thinking that someone had cut their hand off or worse in the work area. I rushed from my office thinking oh my god, I hope one of my friends isn’t seriously hurt. I rushed down the stairs and found the girl who was yelling standing over a body with a sign on it saying "un conscious victim" I was instantly relieved to see nobody was hurt but horrified that I was now on scene commander and I was in charge of running the emergency. I rushed over to a pull station to get the various fire teams alerted to respond and found the pull station inactive due to welding in the area. I then called communications on my radio and discovered the station manager on the phone and reluctant to return my queries. I guess I finally sounded sufficiently distressed that he decided to answer. I asked him to mobilize the trauma team and because there was not any sign of smoke I recommended teams 2 & 3 standby, away from the scene to give trauma room to work. They showed up very quickly which then gave me some time to discover the witness had left the scene. I then asked another team one member to track the hysterical witness down and find out who, what, when and where. I later learned she was on fire watch when she witnessed the person fall from the high shelves and land on the equipment below. Fire watch! Great so another team one person rounded up the welder and we asked him where he was welding and we resumed the fire watch. Thank goodness the observers didn’t say a flare up was to occur at some time after the drills start. This was my first time as O.C. and I learned what I would do differently but I did receive some good feed back and the drill went pretty well. If I were to respond to a similar situation I would have taken the time to tell the victim "to hang in there while I get him some help". I then would have tried to get some contact info from the witness and had her removed from the scene for interviewing by another team one member and I would have had another look for other witnesses. Other than that I would have changed very little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home