Tuesday, May 03, 2005

May 01, 2005

Temperature-52.1 C -61.8 F
Windchill-65.7 C -86.2 F
Wind 5.5 kts Grid 24
Barometer 681.1 mb (10587 ft)
Lunch: Peanut Butter and Jelly
Dinner: Protein Shake

Last night I went to the library in the dome to watch the Motorcycle Diaries with some friends. I don’t know if the U.S. version was in Spanish but the version we obtained was subtitled in English. I enjoyed the movie very much and it had me thinking how much fun it might be to road trip on my Aprilia Scarabeo 50 scooter. I could not believe the scenic beauty of South America combined with social injustice between the classes. I could understand how such a trip could change ones views of the world. Before coming here I was just an average American I had left the country only three times, once for a business trip to Ascension Island, another to Mexico for a wedding and finally a sea kayaking trip in Canada. My knowledge of other cultures was very limited but after living with Germans, Kiwis and Australians for the past two years I have learned much about the way of life in other countries and I suspect like Che Guevara my life will never be the same as it was before. So for me the Motorcycle Diaries was entertaining but it also provided a moment to reflect on my own journey.
After the movie we were talking about how we feel very sorry for future residents that they will not have the library because it is coming down next summer and they will be forced to use the other lounge in the new building where the TV is nicer but it feels like watching movies in a conference room.
Today I saw my first Iridium Flare. We have been having level -8 every nine minutes for the past three days. All we have to do is walk out onto the cargo deck look up at the Southern Cross and passing through it is a satellite that becomes steadily brighter and then dimmer. I laid on the snow and watched three appear and disappear before becoming to cold to watch anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home