Sunday, May 08, 2005

May 07, 2005

Temperature-64.5 C -84.1 F
Windchill-84.4 C -120.0 F
Wind 8.6 kts Grid 65
Barometer 679.2 mb (10658 ft)
Lunch: Granola
Dinner: Buttered Pasta with Parmesan Cheese

I have said it before and I will say it again "I love two day weekends!" Saturday was a big party day. "BFKs" hosted the BF5K run of 17 laps around the station. Each participant wore a costume of their choosing and was required to have a sponsor who would drink every lap the runner finished. The beakers and kiwis fielded teams and the remainder were individual runners with sponsors. My friend Dave and I dressed as old school gangsters with big medallions hanging around our necks and rings on our fingers. We both wore our matching blue fleece leisure suits and we looked like a couple of fellas from Compton. My wife dressed as Fozzey Bear in her brown fleece sweat suit and a Fozzey mask. The runners were stagger started at 5 seconds intervals and I started third behind Heidi (running in an apron that had a naked woman body on it) and Clayton (dressed as a chorus line dancer). My first ten steps were in my best home boy strut and then I broke into a run. My wife started next. I thought seventeen laps would be easy but after 11 or so I started to feel winded. Every lap I would stop and give my home boy Dave some love and then do break dance moves in front of the crowd. Jarrod my sponsor kept up on his drinks and by the time I finished did 6 shots of bourbon and 2 beers in a little over 27 minutes. He wasn’t feeling very good and I think he had to go relieve himself. Later at the award ceremony I found out I was the first individual finisher and my wife was the first female. Jarrod and I won a 10 minute shower each and the wife won a $30 gift certificate to Dux De Lux (The microbrew in Christchurch). Later all the participants had to stand in front of the spectators for costume judging. Kiwi Jon won in his seventies nerdy tennis outfit. I was funny to see such a "tough" guy dressed that way.
After that there was a break in the action until Allan and his crew made dinner of fish & chips, nachos, jalapeno poppers, and seven layer dip. I scarfed the nachos but did not partake in the chips because I am not fond of deep fried fish. Before dinner Jim (who was especially wasted) tried to convince my wife and I that we should do a stint in the peace corps. We kept telling him that we needed to earn money to accomplish our goals and working for free in the peace corps although interesting, would not help us with our current dreams. We kept telling him that we would think about it but he just kept demanding we do as he did. The discussion ended with him calling me a capitalist pig and then passing out in a galley chair. He was really toasted.
I then joined the kiwis for some drinks and some nachos. Much better company!!
I then retired to my room until 8:00PM and then went to the kiwi lounge to watch the first performance of the season by the band. They were pretty good and fun to watch and I hope they do other performances during the winter.
Eric the best cook on station slipped one of my bling rings on his index finger and could not get it off. He tried oil, soup, cold and it would not come off. Eventually Allan held onto it while Eric pulled and it eventually came off along with some of his knuckle. I don’t think I have seen so many drunk people since a I attended a fraternity party at the Colorado School of Mines during engineering days. I think everyone was blowing off some steam after three long weeks of work and built up stress. I for one feel much better today. I was able to get a hair cut, wash my clothes, clean my room, take a shower, shave and work on some personal projects. It was very nice to relax for a couple of days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home