Saturday, May 21, 2005

May 19, 2005

Temperature-63.1 C -81.6 F
Windchill-86.3 C -123.3 F
Wind 12.6 kts Grid 43
Barometer 669.2 mb (11038 ft)
Lunch: Brats
Dinner: Pizza (junk food station)

What a perfectly awful day!!! It started with a morning call to Camp Centennial in which I was told to ignore that a fan serving a laboratory hood doesn’t meet spec and get it signed off by the client in order to save Big "R" a buck. Lab hoods typically handle flammables, acids and bases. Usually I would specify fans and ductwork that are rated for types of chemicals used in the hood. In this case we are using a standard bathroom exhaust fan that could be purchased from Grainger. I for one expect more for a 160 million dollar building and I will never approve this fan in its current application.
Then I needed to fill the emergency water tanks to test the water booster pump. I had to connect a hose to the domestic water service and drop it into the tank to fill. I secured the hose and began filling. It was about half full when I was called on the radio so I thought I will be away for a short while, what could go wrong. About five minutes later I returned and found the hose doing its best dance outside of the tank drenching everything in the power plant with water. I ended up mopping up about 25 gallons of water and the sub floor was drenched. I set up a fan to ventilate the subfloor in hopes it would dry and opened all the floor access hatches to keep the air warm and moving. I then locked the doors so nobody would wonder in and fall through the open hatches. The fire alarm tech insisted the doors had to remain unlocked because they are a means of egress out of B1 berthing and that I should tape off all the holes with caution tape. He was incorrect in his assumption that the room was an egress route unless the building code has undergone some serious revision to allow exiting through an H4 (very hazardous) occupancy. He became angry, said something derogatory and ran off. So to keep everyone happy I decided to try to comply with the techs demands. You would think a roll of caution tape would be easy to find but I could find none. I eventually found some rope and marked the areas off, the problem being the area was now an obstacle course of open holes and rope barricades. It did not seem very safe to me but at that point I just didn’t care and felt I had done what I could.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home